Friday, January 22, 2010

Rohtas Fort

Rohtas Fort is one of my Favourites sites since childhood. i remember asking my parents to go this place. it was only on 30 min drive from my city. any way this time the experience was even more amazing as i had my d60 with me....
some facts:
Rohtas Fort (Urdu: قلعہ روہتاس Qila Rohtas) is a garrison fort built by the great Afghan king Sher Shah Suri. This fort is about 4 km in circumference and the first example of the successful amalgamation of Pukhtun and Hindu architecture in the Indian Subcontinent.






Sohail Gate:
This gate is the best example of masonry in use in the time of Sher Shah. It derives its name from a Saint names Sohail Bukhari buried in the south-western bastion of the gate. Others say that it was names after the Sohail Star which rises on this side of the fort.

No comments:

Post a Comment